This fall, join a unique experience studying urbanization and human communities, with a focus on China, home to some of the world's fastest-growing cities. You will collaborate with students from Tsinghua University in Beijing on projects related to urban mobility, cultural heritage, energy, and air quality. Interface with industry professionals, leading scholars, and NGO experts from Clean Air Asia, Intel, China Sustainable Transportation Center, and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) among others.
The course is open to undergraduate and graduate students from interdisciplinary backgrounds interested in cross-cultural collaboration, community-based research, and taking action to develop human cities.
URBANST 145 / CEE 126 / EARTHSYS 138 / IPS 274
- Learn about urban sustainability by engaging in real-world projects in Beijing and the San Francisco Bay Area
- Partner with peers from China’s top-rated Tsinghua University in the School of Engineering and Academy of Art and Design
- Engage in hands-on fieldwork and interactive urban labs
- Learn methods of human-centered urbanization and creative, ethical approaches to participatory design
- Curate a trans-Pacific exhibit for the Urban Sustainability Expo that will take place in Beijing and California
- Open to interdisciplinary students from all backgrounds